Summary of Petition Letter
Dear Ms Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor,
The Sustainable Lantau Blueprint was recently unveiled. The conservation measures to Chinese white dolphins are very disappointing.
- There are no dolphins coming back but leaving in Northeast Lantau despite the designation of the Brothers Marine Park. This is the result of the reclamation projects nearby. Therefore, the effectiveness of marine parks as a compensation to dolphins is highly doubted.
- The proposed Southwest Lantau Marine Park and the Soko Islands Marine Park does not include the critical travelling corridor which fragments the protected areas and greatly limit the value of conserving dolphins.
- There were no new conservation measures in the Sustainable Lantau Blueprint while the traffic of high-speed ferries is still a serious threat to dolphins due to the underwater noise and vessel collision. This threat should be removed as soon as possible to link up the fragmented proposed marine parks.
Therefore, the followings are suggested:
- As Chinese White Dolphins are losing a large area of marine habitat in the North Lantau waters, more high quality habitats in other areas in HK, including West and South Lantau waters, need to be secured for their conservation.
- Rerouting the high speed ferry traffic away from South Lantau waters will secure a safe and high quality habitat for CWD to offset the huge loss of dolphin habitat in North Lantau waters, and should be a high priority for action to reverse the alarming downward trend in dolphin numbers.
- Connecting the proposed SWLMP and SIMP without any fragmentation between them will create a larger and more coherent marine protected area with proper measures and enforcement. If done properly, the ecological value in South Lantau will be greatly enhanced for the dolphins, and they can utilize both marine parks more efficiently and safely.
- In the long term, a large marine protected area in the western waters of Hong Kong should be established to connect the existing Sha Chau and Lung Kwu Chau Marine Park, Tai O, Yi O, and the proposed SWLMP and SIMP. A marine protected area of this scale is the only way to ensure the long term survival of CWD in Hong Kong waters.
Read the whole Petition letter here.
Petition: Support designating large marine park and rerouting ferry traffic to save pink dolphins!Read the petition
Hong Kong Dolphin Conservation Society (HKDCS) would comply with the the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance issued by the HKSAR and your personal data will only be used for the petition. Your personal data will be properly handled and stored by us in accordance with the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance.
|346||C A.||Jul 22, 2017|
|345||Lesley W.||Jul 22, 2017|
|344||Alexandra A.||Jul 22, 2017|
|343||Melissa L.||Jul 22, 2017|
|342||Amanda C.||Jul 22, 2017|
|341||Kiyan T.||Jul 22, 2017|
|340||Rayse Y.||Jul 22, 2017|
|339||Clara L.||Jul 21, 2017|
|338||Ian L.||Jul 21, 2017|
|337||Toni K.||Jul 21, 2017|
|336||Bartosz G.||Jul 21, 2017|
|335||Jim R.||Jul 21, 2017|
|334||Ronald A.||Jul 21, 2017|
|333||Tony W.||Jul 21, 2017|
|332||Julia J.||Jul 21, 2017|
|331||Cyrus H.||Jul 21, 2017|
|330||Maya E.||Jul 21, 2017|
|329||whitney w.||Jul 20, 2017|
|328||Alison C.||Jul 20, 2017|
|327||Amanda M.||Jul 20, 2017|